20th January 2020
I want to give my BIG ONE a good hard testing now that it is hopefully fixed so, this week, all week long will be suitable games of an arcade & retro bent.
12th January 2020
UPDATE Not doing Monday this week now but I will do Friday Night to make up for it.
This week will mainly be in space...
Monday: Battle Princess Madelyn continues
- Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday: The rest of the week is all Elite: Dangerous. Back in the cockpit with my HOTAS.
- Friday: Fright Night!
4th January 2020
This week's streaming schedule:
- Monday: More metroid-vania style action with Battle Princess Madelyn
- Tuesday & Wednesday: I am jumping back into the cockpit for the first time in ages and exploring the galaxy in Elite: Dangerous.
- Thursday: A single visit this week to electronics and an update of where we are at with the fab.8 and how close we are to being finished by the target date of the end of this month.
- Friday: Friday Fright Night
2nd January 2020
Welcome to the space year 2020!
I forgot to allow for fireworks arseholery so I had to cancel yesterday's stream at the last moment after realising that me & poor Zeus were knackered after a very restless night.
Back in action tonight though, picking up on the electronics streaming that was interrupted PLUS Friday Fright Night tomorrow.
Okay, I have hinted at a promise of "pain for payment" for a while now and it is time to make good on that. The reason this has taken me so long is that I am trying to balance not being greedy with not making it too easy for you buggers. I don't want to be screwed over by making the target low enough for one person to stick into my g-string then gleefully sit back and watch me squirm arrhythmically. On the other hand I have a hard time coping with any acknowledgement of my self worth. I have decided to just bite the bullet and get started, seeing how it goes and adjusting as necessary.
I want this to be a sustainable monthly thing so I also need to make sure it is enough to fund future masochism. So without further faff - here is January 2020's goal:
- Target amount: €125
- Reward: Hamish plays the second "reboot" Tomb Raider game all the way through on stream(s).
The small print: this applies only to donations made through tipeeestream (this is by far the easiest way for me to track & display donations) and only during January 2020. The target is in € because that is the currency used by Tipeestream. I have added a donation tracker to the overlay.
I may also add the reward of the highest donator being able to choose a future reward.
There is some issue with the Tipeestream donations not working on Firefox at the time of writing - hopefully this will be fixed. The solution at present is to use a Chromium-based browser.
30th December 2019
Slightly late but here is this week's schedule:
Monday: We carry on the adventures of Battle Princess Madelyn.
Tuesday - Thursday: Electronics is back! The planned completion of the HamCom fab.8 is looming and I need to employ the stream brain trust. We need to work out and solidify the plans, having veered a rather long way from the Ben Eater project but still using it as a guideline.
I also want to start a smaller project for a "high tech" doorbell type system so I will let you know what ideas I have so far and we can let those ideas percolate over the next few weeks and make a start on it after the fab.8 is done.
22nd December 2019
Having a sort of flexi-week on stream this week so just keep an eye out for me going live. Monday night will be normal then I will be winging it a bit from there.
Monday: Battle Princess Madeline continues.
17th December 2019
Super Bonus Stream Update! Friday Fright Night is back this week! Come see Hamish shite his troosers this Friday night!
!! and !!!!
15th December 2019
- Monday: Hamish plays a new game - this one was a birthday gift from Anjune.
- Tuesday: Multiplayer Shooter Night. If we can get a few players then we will try some Insurgency, if not then we have Left4Dead2 as a fun fallback option.
- Wednesday Re-attempt after last week's illness spoiled things - Old Fart versus Young Person MTGA edition. F1Madkiller takes on the big man at Magic: The Gathering - Arena.
- Thursday: No stream tonight - I am out seeing the new Star Wars film.
8-bit homebrew computer - I am going to extend the budget slightly to solve a few problems in hardware. If I don't do this then I would be making a mish-mash of different circuits for the registers and still have to put one or two of them into the arduino anyway. If I buy a few ready-made register chips then I will save some time and headaches.
9th December 2019
- Monday: No stream tonight - sorry, not feeling very well.
- Tuesday: TBA
- Wednesday Old Fart versus Young Person MTGA edition. F1Madkiller takes on the big man at Magic: The Gathering - Arena.
- Thursday: TBA
1st December 2019
December already! My but doesn't time fly for us old farts? I thought I would start with a chilled out night this week...
- Monday: Chilled chat and maybe some quizzes evening, a gentle start to the week. Come chat with Uncle Hamish.
- Tuesday: New (to Hamish) game night. I will look through the collection and pick one of the many, many unplayed games and give one a go.
- Wednesday & Thursday: Electronics - the HamCom 8 project keeps rolling on. This week I hope to be connecting a few modules together along with the arduino board.
On the subject of building projects, I am also putting up some information about projects here on the website too! Click the "Home Brew Micro" link for shenanigans and faff.
25th November 2019
Sorry for the tardiness in updating this week but here it is (pretty much the same as last week):
- Monday & Tuesday: Retro gaming.
- Wednesday & Thursday: Electronics - HamCom 8 project, building an 8-bit computer out of junk and spare parts.
16th November 2019
Hi peeps, here is the schedule for the coming week on stream:
- Monday: Retro gaming - continuing Prince of Persia.
- Tuesday & Wednesday: Electronics - updates on the evolving HamCom 8 project, building an 8-bit computer out of junk and spare parts. I have got a few more parts and extra breadboards added to the pile, this week we start to make "permanent" prototype modules and take stock of what modules we have the resources to make in hardware. Any remaining modules needed we will make a start at "emulating" within the arduino.
- Thursday: More Prince of Persia.
9th November 2019
As regular viewers will know, the plan for the coming few months is to start on some ongoing projects of various types. Here is an update with the state of those.
- The main requirements for getting the RPG streams going are:
- a campaign to play (I have some of those)
- getting the rules to players (easy enough)
- organising some sort of on-screen management system - partly to give some visuals for the stream and partly for the players & game-master to keep track of the mechanics of the game.
- arranging voice chat for the players and gm to communicate in real time,.
- This is mostly on hold although there is programming within other projects anyway. I hope that makes some sort of sense!
- There are a lot of projects I want to do with electronics but the main thing I will be streaming will be the "8-bit Home Brew Microcomputer" that I have talked about extensively. I have quite a lot to say about this but I will start a new page separately for this - keep an eye on the navigation menu for a new link soon!
- The plan for a music project is to create a short (30 seconds or so) track to use as an intro theme for streams (and videos). The streaming part of this project will be after I have created and recorded the multitracks. I will then do the production on stream and bounce ideas around while we work on finishing the track.
Finally, here is the plan for next week's streams. Starting from the 11th (Monday) I will be streaming Monday - Thursday (that's one extra day, you lucky people!). I will mostly be streaming retro games and favourites from now on.
- Monday: Mario Monday (SMB3 NES continued)
- Tuesday: Electronics (Update on fab. project & a little Arduino project)
- Wednesday: TBA
- Thursday: Hamish versus a classic console game. Hamish takes on a game he hasn't played before. This week I will have a go at Prince of Persia.
26th October 2019
I have decided to shelve the Monthly GNU/Hamish show (for now) for various reasons. Fear not though - I am expanding the weekday streaming schedule to four nights permanently plus
adding occasional non-scheduled streams (probably on weekends). This new schedule starts in a couple of weeks - the week of Guy Fawkes is very difficult for Zeus so I might have to cut short or cancel some streams that week and next week is already scheduled.
24th October 2019
More experimentation on next week's streams.
Tuesday: Electronics time. We will take a look at some fundamental circuits and components. If you want a refresher (like me) or want to learn some basics of microelectronics then be sure to join us.
Wednesday: You don't know Jack! Or maybe you do - either way we will explore my sound setup and chat about how to route and manipulate audio in GNU/Linux with the Jack Audio Construction Kit.
Thursday: Retro gaming action again. I have been reminded that Thursday is Hallow'een so I will endeavour to find some spooky games to play.
20th October 2019
I have been talking for a while about doing something a bit different on the stream and this week is the start of some "experimentation"
Tuesday: Pen & Paper RPG. Although I want to run an old school (1970s/80s D & D) campaign eventually, I do have some multiplayer game books that will lend themselves nicely to an experimental session so I hope a few people in chat will take up the challenge and join in a simplified RPG session with me as your Game Master. Silly voices may occur.
Wednesday: Programming with Uncle Hamish. Not exactly a tutorial but I will go through some simple programming and take questions (and corrections) from the stream chat. For this experimental show we will start looking at Python. I will be using Python 3.7.4 on Arch linux if you want to follow along.
Thursday: Back to gaming with more retro action.
We will find out what works and what doesn't and I will get an idea of what I can do in future streams. I hope to see you all through the week.
17th October 2019
In case you hadn't noticed (or this is your first visit? Welcome!) I have been messing around with CSS again. I hope the new version of the site is starting to look a bit nicer. Plenty still to do as always though!
14th October 2019
This week on stream: Tuesday's stream is Old Fart versus Young Person at MTGA, featuring F1Madkiller! He has been getting cocky lately so I need to bring my A-game and beat him bad.
Wednesday I was thinking of a relaxed chat stream with quizzes etc. as we have done in the past, then Thursday round the week off with some Retro action.
Friday is to be decided - if I can find a game that I think suits then there will be a FFN, if not then I will seek more games for the following week.
7th October 2019
Matrix chat update: Matrix.org is having a lot of issues at the moment so I haven't posted the details yet since my account and main room are on that server. I will be looking to set up a server myself and moving my account and room to that. I am not sure yet whether I will allow signups or just invite only but I will be recommending not using the same server that every bugger gets pointed to in the first instance!
Riot, by default, joins you to matrix.org and I think this is a bad idea. It would be better to get server hosts to submit their server addresses to a pool that riot (or another client) can choose from for new users.
1st October 2019
This Sunday (6th October) is the next episode of GNU/Hamish - the subject is
Free/Libre/Open Source Software, Services & Adoption.
I will be joined by two special guests, HexDSL and Chris Were.
1st October 2019
Alien themed week with a couple of old favourites.
Trying out the classic AvP with D9VK on Linux this week.
Friday Fright Night this week will be an Alien: Isolation challenge mode.
24th September 2019
The result of the poll was that Retro will be this week's streams:
Tuesday: Tempest 2000 on Atari Jaguar
Wednesday: Super Mario Bros. 3 on NES
Thursday: Strider II on Megadrive
23rd September 2019
There is a poll running to decide this week's stream game(s) - check it out and have your say.
19th September 2019
Back on tonight to try to complete the game I started on Tuesday. Tomorrow it is Friday Fright Night, game to be confirmed.
18th September 2019
Sorry no stream tonight due to illness. I should be back tomorrow.